Thursday, December 14, 2006

Exit 2.0 - The Art of Reinventing Oneself

Many of you have heard that I have re-launched "the arts and technology law group" just weeks ago. With it, this blog re-launches. I am blessed to have found an area of law that I love and clients and colleagues that have grown with me. Re-launching one's own practice is no easy task I'll admit but if there is one thing I know it is this: so long as I am still passionate about customer service, practicing law and helping buinesses fend off those who rip them off, I will succeed. I realized this year though that that alone was not enough, I must also have fun doing it. Life is simply too short. I am sure you agree, right? As a result, I've come up with a set of values I strive to live by in 2007. Of course, I hope you'll help me keep to them but I also hope you'll share with me the adages (sp?) that keep you happy, healthy, wealthy and wise. Thank you in advance for your support and for nourishing me this year.

FOCUS --- PEOPLE -- DON'T OVER DO IT -- HAVE FUN

1) Focus: Many years ago, I met with Arthur Herschaft the CEO of Paxar, a public company that is known as the leader in printing bar code labels on prodcts. He built this billion dollar company with a smart team but he built it from the modest beginnings. How did he get there? Focus. I strive to be the best infringement litigator in Northern California. When someone's mark, brand, product, software, design is stolen, injunctive relief (aka TRO's, preliminary injunctions) are like mini-trials. It's a bit like an all out raid on an entrenched enemy. No saving your big guns for later in trial. I thrive on this stuff and have made it my focus.

2) People: All we have on this earth is the personal connections with others. I do my best to be present with those around me and to be honest and caring. I do not always succeed, I know, but I try. My grandmother told me that you must be nice to everyone you meet because you never know who they are. If a prospective client, employee, co-worker is not nice to a doorman, receptionist, that is a red-flag for me. I'd rather move on. Lastly, get off email and blackberries and let's see each other face to face. The older I get the more I seek face time with my clients, my colleagues, my partners. Even a little is better than none. When can we have coffee? Or lunch?

3) Don't Overlawyer: I am a pushy lawyer when I have to be. Sometimes I push too hard I'm sure but it's my style. I remind myself everyday that the impression I make - from how I dress to how I speak and write - reflects on my clients. I strive to remind opposing counsel too that we are just like bus drivers getting thru a tough path. Don't get me wrong, if opposing counsel turns up the heat, I thrive on turning up the heat too. But - let us remember to treat each other with civility and respect. When I negotiate an agreement or argue a motion for a client, I want the world to think two things: The lawyer is credible and so his his client, I want to work with them. If I cannot do that, I have failed.

4) Have fun: If I do not laugh with my clients and revel in their success with them, and connect with them on a personal level, I am not right for them and they are not right for me. This true for my public clients as well as for my family owned, closely held clients. In the end, it is people who have their lives and livings at stake in what they do. Let us not forget that. If we work hard, get the substance right, we must remember to connect with each other and have a bit of fun. The work we do is mostly serious but let us find the time for a smile and a laugh. Maybe break some bread together. Don't you agree.

See you out there, I hope. Don't be a stranger.


Some articles I've been quoted in this year (kudos to my former firms PR people):

On Stolen Art
On China
On Apple v. Beatles' Apple


Best regards, Gregory Rutchik